Friday, February 6, 2009

hipster bullshit that i love



So I was checking out Pitchfork Media today, which I, to be honest, read every day, and they reviewed a CD by a band from Brooklyn called The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart. I wasn't expecting much, but after a second listen to the song "Everything With You," I was really just, totally captured. It's absolutely simple, beautiful, fleeting, happy pop music that is absolutely fucking irresistible! They sound a lot like Ride, Mojave Three, Titus Andronicus, and other lo-fi shoegaze pop. Their music would go perfectly on The Adventures Of Pete & Pete or in Sixteen Candles. You have to try pretty hard not to like this music.

As I get older, I find more and more that I mostly enjoy music with a sense of mass appeal and pop sensibilities to it. I don't know what it is. Maybe it comes from a greater need for empathy in my music.

These folks really don't have a bad song at all! They're playing at the Black Cat on Monday night and I think I'm going, but I'm a little nervous about going because I don't want to be disappointed by it. We'll just have to see. These days I've also been making plans to go to a lot of shows that I don't end up going to, because I can't find anyone to go with. When I was in college I wanted more space, more room to be a loner, I was sick of seeing the same people all the time. As the old saying goes, "Be careful what you wish for..."

Listen to The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart at their myspace.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, too. it's catchy...

icoulddietomorrow said...

I didn't really like their early material, but then I heard "Everything With You" and it blew me away. Definitely one of the best songs I've heard in years. It's so good, in fact, that I have no interest in listening to their LP because I know none of it will be as good as that song.

-Adam

Anonymous said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。