Wednesday, September 5, 2007

CMJ! CMJ!

Friends, the CMJ Music Marathon is upon us, in just a matter of weeks. My duties as Head Music Director have afforded me the opportunity to go to this week-long event with my ticket, airfare, and hotel stay all paid for, because it's a "conference." really, I am just going to be going to several shows every night for free, eating out a lout, walking around the city a bunch, perhaps enjoying some alcoholic beverages, and seeing tons of great music.

They have announced the first few rounds of bands. There are your predictable big acts, such as Spoon, Deerhunter, and other crap like that. Full details on the bands who have been announced thus far can be found at the CMJ Website. I haven't heard of most of the bands they've announced, and most of them are probably awful, but here is a short list of bands I'm particularly stoked on seeing:

Lifetime
Earthless
Torche
M.I.A.
Brother Ali
Matt and Kim


also, Owen, Mates Of State, and others are playing...I haven't updated in a while, I am still contemplating the new Everybody Fields CD, as well as the new album from Ghastly City Sleep, which is really delightful to listen to now, but I can't figure out if it's a huge letdown or not. It's not at all what i was expecting from these ex-members of Majority Rule and City Of Caterpillar, and being one of the most highly anticipated releases of the year for me, I can't say that it's living up to my expectations of it. Sounds a lot like older Radiohead, basically...

reviews of both of these albums are being worked on and will be posted this weekend! so check back then. Until then, enjoy the new Bruce video.

No comments: